So I finally watched a couple episodes of Girls, the new HBO televisions show.
I just…don’t know where to start.
First is the supposedly funny, but no so humorous critique of privileged white women. I suppose the audience is supposed to relate with/feel a slight bashfulness at the blindly privileged lives that these women lead.
In reality the layers of privilege that these rich white women posses go basically unchecked- leaving me slightly nauseous at the narcissistic neurotic script.
The seemingly “endearing” moments went from bad to worse as the show begins to elaborate on the characters love lives.
Most of the sex scenes I found incredibly triggering, and the relationships themselves ranged from sacrificial to emotionally abusive.
How many times do we all have to watch women not respect themselves, and instead of calling people out they just ‘bitch’ to their friends. Abuse becomes funny anecdotes for cliche nights out at the bar.
My opinion has also been tainted by the writers racists and insensitive comments on twitter.
After watching three episodes I noticed the only black person on the show was a old man on the street who cat called the main character.
Honestly, watching Girls made me feel disgusted. This is what we see, again, and again. I have seen Sex and the City back to back too many times over. Those gender roles and rigid ideas of sexuality and loves have taken me years to unlearn. And with a younger and slightly edgier cast we see it all again.
Women are their relationships.
Women are defined by their sexuality and sexual acts.
White women are the only people of value and purpose living in NY.
Irony somehow makes racism ‘okay’.
And abuse is just a small bump in the road towards true, monogamous, hetero love.
So in conclusion. I call bullshit on Girls. I am tired of only seeing white, wealthy women on TV. I am tired of abuse being normalized. I am tired of privilege being used as a tool for ironic “white people problem” jokes with no real accountability.
And I say this as someone who has watched almost every stupid drama/teen drama/anything on TV- I am tired of this bullshit.
- rempress1 reblogged this from militanthope
- gibberishnation likes this
- c7horney likes this
- backlash-blues reblogged this from opheliadoris
- rareandradiantmaiden reblogged this from glompcat
- glompcat reblogged this from gaobibaituo
- brandybarber likes this
- jordancameron likes this
- meganlives likes this
- opheliadoris reblogged this from brujacore
- opheliadoris likes this
- misandrwitch likes this
- glompcat likes this
- marisa-kirisame reblogged this from gaobibaituo
- gaobibaituo reblogged this from cmao and added:
- gaobibaituo likes this
- katydidnot said: this is all a very good critique, BUT did lena dunham actually make racist and insensitive comments? the only ones i saw were other writers (which is uhhh still bad of course)
- furrows likes this
- colorfulove likes this
- yoomsters likes this
- cmao reblogged this from brujacore
- meandthestereo reblogged this from brujacore and added:
- princepsfemina likes this
- sundaymornincomindown reblogged this from brujacore
- sundaymornincomindown likes this
- thepomochola likes this
- brujademar likes this
- goodsmellmeow likes this
- cactimaze likes this
- yoursecretary likes this
- sonrei likes this
- haralambros likes this
- kev-gnapoor likes this
- mydeadlinegemini likes this
- toskateonsun reblogged this from brujacore and added:
- slutevsies reblogged this from brujacore
- tuffcrustomer likes this
- brujacore reblogged this from militanthope and added:
- brujacore likes this
- betweenamountainandthesea likes this
- militanthope posted this